Some links in this post may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no cost to you. But rest assured that all opinions remain my own. You can read my full affiliate disclaimer here.
If you want to take a deep dive into search engine optimization, consider hitting the books. The best SEO books are written by experts who thoroughly examine the ins and outs of this complex topic. They will give you an in-depth understanding of SEO strategies and help you improve your website’s rankings and traffic.
So, which books will help you become a master of search engine optimization? Here are 17 outstanding books on SEO that will teach you everything you need to know.
17 best SEO books to master search
Ready to get your website content ranking on page one of Google? Here are the best books on SEO to the rescue.
- SEO 2021: Learn Search Engine Optimization with Smart Internet Marketing Strategies
- SEO Like I’m 5: The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Search Engine Optimization
- The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization 3rd Edition
- 3 Months To No. 1: The No-Nonsense SEO Playbook for Getting Your Website Found on Google
- Create a Website and Profit: Your A to Z Blueprint for a Successful Website that Converts Visitors into Buyers
- Marketing in the Age of Google
- SEO For Dummies: 7th Edition
- SEO Fitness Workbook: Search Engine Optimization Success in 7 Steps
- SEO for Growth: The Ultimate Guide for Marketers, Web Designers & Entrepreneurs
- Search Engine Optimization: All-in-one for Dummies
- How To Get To The Top of Google in 2020: The Plain English Guide to SEO
- SEO 2020: Actionable, Hands-on SEO, Including a Full Site Audit
- Ultimate Guide to Link Building
- The SEO Book: Search Engine Optimization 2020
- SEO Step by Step-The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Getting Traffic from Google
- Outrank: Your Guide to Making More Online by Showing up Higher on Search Engines and Outranking Your Competition
- SEO No Bullshit Strategy: The Ultimate Step by Step SEO Book
1. SEO 2021: Learn Search Engine Optimization with Smart Internet Marketing Strategies by Adam Clarke
In SEO 2021, Adam Clarke explains the secrets to ranking highly on Google. He outlines how to attract more organic traffic to your site through various SEO strategies such as link building and using the right keywords.
SEO 2021 is one of the most updated books on SEO with insight into backlinks, Google indexing, and local SEO ranking. Since search engine algorithms and ranking factors change often, an up-to-date book like this one is worth reading.
- Effective keyword research techniques
- How to use powerful link building approaches to optimize your site
- Using social media to expand your marketing campaigns
- Best SEO tools for internet marketers
- Algorithm factors used by Google to rank websites
- How to avoid Google penalties (and bounce back after a penalty)
2. SEO Like I’m 5: The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Search Engine Optimization by Matthew Capala
SEO Like I’m 5 is one of the best SEO books for beginners. Matthew Capala breaks down SEO in an extremely accessible way. He specifically details what he calls the five C’s of SEO: content, code, credibility, connections and cash. (But don’t worry, you don’t need to know anything about coding to apply the info in the code section.)
- Keyword research techniques
- In-depth explanation of SEO
- The steps to succeeding with SEO
- The best websites and resources to learn more about SEO
3. The Art of SEO: Mastering Search Engine Optimization 3rd Edition by Eric Enge, Stephan Spencer, and Jessie C. Stricholla
Enge, Spencer and Strichiolla wrote one of the best books on SEO in 2009 and have updated it twice since then to keep up with current trends. This third edition is chock-full of up-to-date information on how to optimize your site to rank better on Google, Bing, and other search engines.
It provides practical techniques for increasing your site’s traffic to make money online. This book is especially useful for readers with some knowledge of SEO, but you can still learn a lot as a beginner.
- How search engines examine your content
- How to plan your SEO techniques to rank better
- Different stages of SEO implementation
- How to research keywords
- How to develop an SEO-friendly website
- Different ways to market your content
- How to use social media to bolster your SEO success
- The latest algorithms used by search engines
4. 3 Months To No. 1: The No-Nonsense SEO Playbook for Getting Your Website Found on Google by Will Coombe
Experienced SEO expert Will Coombe provides a seven-step guide on how to establish your site and get it ranking on page one of Google in just three months. He outlines the step-by-step process to boosting your rankings, as well as provides useful SEO checklists.
With Coombe’s tips in 3 Months to No. 1, you can increase your traffic and improve your rankings in search engines..
- SEO secrets to out-do your competitors and rank better
- Effective and strategic use of keywords
- SEO techniques for WordPress
- Use of link building to elevate your site
- How to use social media as a marketing tool
- How to avoid Google penalties, and how to recover from them
- Content marketing strategies
5. Create a Website and Profit: Your A to Z Blueprint for a Successful Website that Converts Visitors into Buyers by Iskra Evtimova
Marketing specialist Iskra Evtimova wrote one of the best SEO books for beginners who are looking to increase their traffic and sell products (digital or physical) online. Her book outlines the steps to creating a website from start to finish.
It also provides conversion rate optimization (CRO) techniques for both newbies and experienced digital marketers. In other words, Evtimova’s book teaches you how to convert website visitors into paying customers.
- How to select the right domain name and hosting company
- How to achieve your website goals
- The best platforms for website creation
- How to build your brand identity
- How to improve your site’s performance using Google Webmaster and Analytics
- The best URL structure to use
- How to make your website more appealing to users
- Niche research techniques
- Step-by-step guide on how to boost site conversions
- How to optimize website conversion rates
6. Marketing in the Age of Google by Vanessa Fox
Former Google search engine strategy spokesperson Vanessa Fox shares her vast experience in search engine marketing in this popular book. Marketing in the Age of Google goes in-depth on search strategies, rankings, and website analytics. It guides marketers on the best ways to integrate search strategies into their business processes.
Fox’s book is ideal for online business owners and digital marketers who want to learn the best search practices.
- How search engines work
- Ways to develop better search strategies for your customers
- Tools that maximize search engine marketing potential to build a successful brand
- Tools that help draw new prospects and generate sales
- Reporting tools, statistics and recommendations
- How to maximize business growth using search engine marketing
- The importance of first page rankings to drive search traffic
7. SEO For Dummies: 7th Edition by Peter Kent
This book is the latest edition in the SEO For Dummies series by Peter Kent. Kent guides SEO beginners on how to build a search engine optimized website that ranks highly and attracts organic traffic.
Through easy-to-grasp techniques, Kent teaches beginners how to register their websites in Google directories and indexes. He discusses how to use SEO reporting tools to evaluate a site’s performance, among other SEO strategies.
- How to get paid through Pay Per Click (PPC) ads
- How to do link building in SEO
- Content creation and marketing
- Use of voice search optimization techniques
- How to use social media to market your website
- Search Engine Results Page (SERP) ranking techniques
8. SEO Workbook: Search Engine Optimization Success in Seven Steps by Jason McDonald
Jason McDonald shares his significant SEO expertise in the SEO Fitness Workbook. In this book, he provides valuable information on how to optimize a website if you’re an eCommerce business owner, internet marketer, or blogger.
In his actionable workbook, McDonald provides worksheets and online tools you can use to test the strategies you learn in the book.
- Highly actionable step-by-step processes to achieve your SEO goals
- Effective use of keyword research techniques
- On-page and off-page SEO approaches to improve your site’s visibility on SERPs
- How to create and market your content
- In-depth understanding of Google Analytics and SEO metrics
- Link building tricks to make your site authoritative
9. SEO for Growth: The Ultimate Guide for Marketers, Web Designers & Entrepreneurs by John Jantsch and Phil Singleton
SEO strategies and metrics are constantly changing, but some best practices remain the same over time. In SEO for Growth, Jantsch and Singleton reveal the SEO factors that remain constant.
For instance, they talk about the enduring importance of content quality, PPC ads, and maintaining authority in SERPs. They also talk about tried-and-true content distribution strategies to increase your website traffic.
- How algorithms determine the position of your site on SERPs
- How to attract organic traffic and build a lasting relationship with your customers
- Local SEO techniques
- WordPress SEO strategies
- Converting site visitors to prospects
10. Search Engine Optimization: All-in-One for Dummies by Bruce Clay
This book is one of the best SEO books for beginners and intermediates looking for in-depth information on SEO strategies, tricks, and secrets. Author Bruce Clay explains what you need to do to improve your on-page and off-page SEO with up-to-date, data-driven strategies.
- Keyword research strategies
- How to build links with third party sites to be more authoritative
- Web designing approaches to make your site attractive with easy to read content
- Optimizing your website to rank high on search engines
- Technical tricks and secrets to upscale your SEO game
11. How To Get To The Top of Google in 2020: The Plain English Guide to SEO by Tim Cameron-Kitchen
Tim Cameron-Kitchen delivers valuable information on how to make your site rank on the first page of Google with simple and easy-to-understand language in How to Get to the Top of Google. You’ll learn about keyword strategies, backlinking, social media, and more.
- SEO techniques to push your site to the first page of Google
- Backlinking strategies with other sites and newspapers
- Using social media to market your web content
- Using three key metrics to optimize your site and maintain high ranks on SERPS
- Avoiding SEO loopholes and Google penalties
- Step-by-step process to obtain over 3,400 visitors to your site in a month
12. SEO 2020: Actionable, Hands-on SEO, Including a Full Site Audit by Dr. Andy Williams
Andy Williams shares more than a decade of SEO experience in SEO 2020. He outlines ways to optimize your site and maintain its rankings even in the face of Google algorithm changes.
- How to rank highly on Google with tested techniques that withstand rankings factor changes
- How to build links to your site to increase organic traffic
- Ways to create high-quality content that makes your site authoritative
- Keeping your site’s updated with recent Google metrics
- Tactics to evaluate your site’s visibility on SERPs
13. Ultimate Guide to Link Building by Eric Ward and Garrett French
Ward and French are link-building pioneers who have been teaching digital marketers the importance of link building for years. In Ultimate Guide to Link Building, they discuss how to create high-quality content that third-party sites will link to. As backlinks are a major part of SEO, this book is a must-read for anyone who’s aiming to get their content ranking on page one.
- Six steps to help you design a link-building campaign
- Analyzing the market to optimize your content to attract backlinks
- Tracking your competitors’ link building strategies to outshine them
- Ways to manually reach backlink prospects
- Building relationships with third party sites
- How to become an authority site by identifying a niche and polishing your content
14. The SEO Book: Search Engine Optimization 2020 by Levin Granitza and Ebner Tobias
The SEO Book is one of the best books on SEO for beginner digital marketers. Ebner and Granitza outline effective strategies for ranking on the first page of Google.
This book contains up-to-date information on how Google Analytics ranks websites on SERPs, keyword research techniques, and social media.
- Tricks and tips to help your site rank more highly on search engines
- How to audit your site using SEO tools and improve your SERPs rankings
- Local SEO strategies to attract target audience to your site
- Keyword research methodologies
- Using voice SEO to rank higher in search engines
- Content creation and marketing strategies
- Tools to improve website page speed for great visitor experience
- Setting SEO goals for your site and how to achieve them
15. SEO Step-by-Step: The Complete Beginner’s Guide to Getting Traffic from Google by Caimin Jones
SEO guru Caimin Jones provides a detailed explanation of search engine optimization in SEO Step-by-Step. He explains the relationship between your site’s SEO and its position in Google rankings. He also explains the factors that Google relies on to rank content in SERPs.
- Google ranking factors
- How to improve your site’s Google Indexing
- How to pick suitable keywords likely to rank high on search engines
- Secrets for creating high-quality content that attracts organic traffic
- On-page optimization techniques to increase your site’s loading speeds
- Proven and straightforward tactics to push your website to Google’s first page
- Free SEO tools to audit your site
- How to avoid Google penalty and recover from it
16. Outrank: Your Guide to Making More Online by Showing up Higher on Search Engines and Outranking Your Competition by Damon Burton
Damon Burton’s Outrank helps you track your competitors’ metrics and figure out specific ways to outdo them on search engines.
- Step-by-step guide to beat your competitors on search engines
- Myths and misconceptions about SEO
- How to increase your site’s visibility on SERPs
- An outline of SEO trends that will affect website ranking in the next decade
- When to hire an SEO expert for your website
17. SEO 2018 No Bullshit Strategy: The Ultimate Step by Step SEO Book by Casey Leigh Henry
In SEO 2018, Casey Leigh Henry outlines easy-to-implement processes for building your website from scratch. She gives you straightforward steps to improve your site’s rankings and bypass competitors. However, since this book is from 2018, it doesn’t have the latest updates to Google’s ranking algorithms.
- How to improve your site’s position on SERPs
- Techniques to generate organic traffic to your site
- How to create high-quality content that attracts visitors
- How to boost your site’s conversions through free SEO tools
- Keyword research techniques
- How to rank for the same content on Google and YouTube
- How to outrank your competitors on search engines.
Learning SEO is crucial for bloggers and business owners. By mastering search engine optimization, you can make sure your website pops up on the first page of Google for your target keywords. Then, you’ll have a steady stream of organic visitors who are looking for exactly what your website has to offer.
Once visitors land on your site, you can capture their email and keep in touch about your latest blog articles or products. To learn more about turning visitors into subscribers, check out my recommendations for the best email marketing platforms.